I have been a customer with DreamHost since June of 2006 and a few weeks ago I was convinced to give their VPS service a go. From the moment I turned the VPS on, I had all sorts of issues that led me on a path to investigate alternative hosts. I did a lot of reading on AWS/EC2, Route53, NGINX configurations, and Varnish etc. My command line-fu significantly improved and I learned a lot about server configuration. I was about to settle on a droplet from the Digital Ocean guys when WPEngine announced this:
That means that for the first year, I can host my site for $40.
I have been using WPEngine for my friends soon to be open cafe website (ethoscafe.com.au) and have been blown away by the service and features.
- Support calls get answered within minutes, not hours.
- You don’t have to waste time experimenting with various backup plugins as they take care of that for you.
- Git based deployment is available right out of the box.
- You don’t have to performance tune WordPress or worry about caching plugins! (Don’t underestimate the expertise required for this!)
- Unlimited Storage!
- Great documentation on the functions/features of wpengine
As much as I was enjoying the learnings from my experimentation, I decided that I would rather spend time writing code rather than worry about what the code runs on. I would strongly encourage you to give WPEngine a go for at least that first year if not for life!